Students use the advocacy cycle to identify and address the issues that their classmates wanted to see changed in
Urban Village Radio at King Middle School.
Step 1: Identify and analyze the issues/problems
Students surveyed 143 6th grade students.
Step 2: Set goals and objectives
Student host/producers discussing show format and setting objectives.
Step 3: Identify the decision makers
Student host/producers identify school
leaders who can provide feedback to students requests.
Mr. Brown | School Principal
Ms. Weaver | 6th grade math/science teacher
Mr. Dow | 6th grade assistant principal
Ms. McCullough | 6th grade counselor
Step 4: Define the message and ask
Student host/producers developing interview questions.
Step 5: Set timeline
- Week 1: Collect surveys
- Week 2: Interview decision makers
- Week 3: Record show
- Week 4: Broadcast show
- Week 5: Monitor and evaluate
Step 6: Assess resources/Choose tactics and implement
- Record in school classroom using Garage Band on Macbook Pro, mic and portable sound booth or
- Email decision maker (s) student requests
- Record students sharing what they’d like to see changed at school
- Record decision makers response to students requests (2nd period)
Genesiss learning how to record and edit audio.
Recording show content.
Interviewing a student.
Step 7: Monitor and Evaluate
Gather student and staff feedback.